4/9/12

Back.

Me and mom
Me and my beautiful mama in Maui ♥  

So we just got back from the airport and our Hawaii trip is officially over. And we’re already talking about how we want to go back.

I have to say, this was one of my favorite family vacations to date.  I’ll be honest with you and let you in on a little secret: I really wasn't looking forward to going to Hawaii. In fact, I kind of resented the fact that I had to leave the familiar comforts of home for a week to go somewhere else (i even cried a little on the inside as i packed my suitcase to leave). I know, it sounds like complete and utter craziness… insanity, right? Who WOULDN’T want to go to Hawaii?! In my mind, I just kind of wanted to stay at home and relax and do nothing for my spring break instead of go away. It felt like a more of a burden to pack up and leave regular life for a week and go somewhere new.

But I really, truly think this vacation was healthy for all of us. I feel rejuvenated, refreshed, etc. My family and I had a long-running joke because it seemed like every other sentence we uttered went something like, “This is the best sandwich I’ve ever had!” or “This is the best coffee I’ve ever had!” My dad even said the meal served on the plane was the best airplane food he’s ever had, but maybe that’s taking it a bit too far. He also bought himself a necklace and by the end of the vacation was greeting everyone, 'Aloha,' which, if you know my dad, is very uncharacteristic of him so maybe the Hawaiian air had an affect on him more than any of us.

I hardly went online, didn't get sunburned, and only got two mosquito bites the entire trip.  We kayaked, learned to surf and paddle board, explored the surrounding cities, went to the beach, took hikes, and went to a luau. We did so much in one week, it’s hard to remember if I’m leaving anything out.  I’m slowly going through all the pictures we took and will blog about them over the course of the next few weeks.

Maybe it’s because we haven’t really taken a true vacation (aside from a few road trips here and there, but those don’t really count) in three years, but also, I think sometimes you don’t realize you’re stuck in a rut until you step away from life and discover how refreshing it is to take a breather from your everyday routine.

PS. Kudos to all you who read through this entire post :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...